The winter is not a good time for Little Miss H. Her already highly sensitive skin becomes dry with little patches of eczema. When she was a baby I would massage olive oil into her skin. Since then I have tried various creams, lotions and potions. Nothing helps and in some cases the products I have used have caused irritation.
Thankfully, the lovely people at AVEENO sent us three skin care products to review: the AVEENO Cream, AVEENO Lotion and AVEENO Bath and Shower Oil. These products are especially designed for people with dry, sensitive and eczema-prone skin; perfect for Little Miss H.
Managing dry, eczema-prone skin with AVEENO
At first, Little Miss H wasn’t keen on having the creams applied. I decided that I needed to make the process of applying cream more fun and help her accept the new textures of the cream, lotion and oil. Little Miss H loves messy play and one afternoon we used the AVEENO we had been sent as the mess element of our messy play. I mixed the oil with some warm water and put it in a section of a top and tail bowl. I then placed the cream and the lotion in the other sections.
She had great fun playing and getting used to the feel of the cream, lotion and oily water. In the end, she used a flannel to wash my feet with the oil and she rubbed the cream and lotion into my legs. Since that afternoon she has been much happier when we put the cream on her after her bath. My crafty ploy worked and I was left with baby soft legs and feet as a result.
Did we love the AVEENO Skin Care Range?
Overall, yes, we did love it. It helped soothe and moisturise Little Miss H’s dry and irritated skin more than any other creams we have used. Other reasons we love the AVEENO products are:
- They are easy to apply and sink-in quickly.
- They are not thick and gunky like many creams and lotions designed for eczema-prone skin.
- A little goes a long way.
- Bathing in the AVEENO Bath and Shower Oil has helped to clear up Little Miss H’s eczema. Normally baths dry her skin out but whenever I use the Bath and Shower Oil she gets out of the water with soft moisturised skin.
- I apply the lotion all over and I use the cream on any eczema flare ups, a strawberry birthmark that she has on her back and her cheeks. Little Miss H’s skin looks and feels so much better.
- The AVEENO Lotion has completely cleared up the dry and nasty skin on my legs. Nothing I have used before has done this (even prescription treatments for eczema).
- The Bath and Shower Oil smells divine.
What we didn’t love about the AVEENO Skin Care Range
- Little Miss H doesn’t like the fact that the Bath and Shower Oil turns the water milky. She gets very concerned that she can’t see her Octonaut bath toys.
- I am not keen on the fragrances of the AVEENO Cream and AVEENO Lotion. I have noticed that there is a lavender scented version of the lotion. I will definitely be buying that in future.
If you or your little one have dry skin and you would like to try AVEENO Cream then you can request a free sample by visiting this website: www.aveenosamples.com. As well as the products from the AVEENO Skin Care Range we were also sent a copy of “The Dry-Ventures of Ellie and Eddie”, a book written by children’s author Penelope Harper in conjunction with AVEENO. This book is designed to help parents make the routine of applying cream more fun.
Little Miss H absolutely loves this book. I often see her walking around with it. At 20 months old she is mainly attracted to the bright colours, fun pictures and Eddie the gecko (she loves animals). I have read it to her and it is a lovely story. It will be brilliant when she is older as it will help me explain why her skin gets sore and why we need to use creams to make it better. You can download a free copy of “The Dry-ventures of Ellie and Eddie” here.
Do you or your little one have dry skin? How do you manage it? Do you have any hints or tips for looking after dry skin? If so, then please leave them in the comments.
Disclaimer: I was sent these products to review but all thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.