If you have read my blog for a while, then you will know that I passionately believe in the fundamental purpose that charities and charity campaigns play in society. They play an essential role in ensuring that the world becomes a better place. A place where the vulnerable and disadvantaged in society are given the chance at a better life.
I realise that I am blessed to live as I do and I believe that I have a social right and duty to help those less fortunate. And so, I support charities as much as I can.
Indeed, my blog tag line is mummy, blogger and charity geek. And it is so true, I could talk for hours about the importance of charities. And it is one of the few things that I will vehemently argue with someone about.
I have always donated our old clothes to charity shops. But lately, I have become a little disenchanted with this. And I have wished that my clothes could go directly to those who need them. Rather than snapped up by savvy bargain hunters. Or left to waste away on landfill because they have not been sold.
That is why, I am supporting the fabulous From a Mother to Another campaign being run by JoJo Maman Bébé.
From a Mother to Another
On Tuesday, 2nd February 2016, JoJo Maman Bébé launched their From a Mother to Another charity campaign for the second year running. The aim of the campaign is simple. JoJo Maman Bébé wish to help vulnerable families here in the UK and Syrian refugees living in Lebanon by sending them complete and high quality children’s outfits which have been donated from one mother to another.
Late last year, Laura Tenison, founder and CEO of JoJo Maman Bébé, visited refugee camps in the Bekaa Valley on the Lebanese Syrian border. She was deeply moved by what she saw and set up an emergency appeal, asking for customers to donate winter shoes and boots to the children living in snow-covered tents.
“The situation is dire and the millions of women and children living in makeshift tents are in urgent need of emergency humanitarian aid to help until it is safe to travel home – just a few miles across the border. They left Syria with whatever they could carry. Their children have outgrown their clothes long ago and are often in rags. The gift of a From a Mother to Another pack brings tears of gratitude. Children are dying from the cold, we just had to help.”
These emergency clothing packs will be distributed by some of the Trussell Trust’s 420 Foodbanks across the UK and by a number of UK charities that are working on the ground in Lebanon.
How you can help?
Donating to this fabulous campaign is really simple. You just need to follow these easy instructions:
- Make up 2 or more complete outfits from your child’s little worn, nearly new or outgrown clothes in sizes 0-6 years.
- Launder and check that the outfit does not have any stains or defects. The clothes need to make a perfect outfit that you would be proud to dress your little one in.
- Place the complete outfit in a clear plastic bag and label with the size, sex and season. For example, 0-3 months, unisex, summer.
- Deliver your made up packages to a JoJo Maman Bébé store between now and 5th March 2016. The campaign is being held on the run up to Mother’s Day in the UK.
What will JoJo Maman Bébé do next?
- JoJo Maman Bébé will double-check all donations and where necessary they will add extra items.
- They will then pack these perfect outfits into gorgeous gift bags and deliver to their charity partners for distribution.
- JoJo Maman Bébé will cover the costs for all sorting staff and all delivery costs to their charity partners.
- They will also cover all the shipping costs, import tax and onward distribution to the Syrian refugees in Lebanon.
Why you should donate to From a Mother to Another?
- Your child’s little worn, nearly new or outgrown clothes will be distributed to vulnerable families in the UK and to Syrian refugees in Lebanon.
- You will be helping to contribute to 66,000 shoes, boots and items of baby clothes being saved from landfill and sent to those in need.
- You will be helping to reduce carbon and water waste. By extending the life of clothes by just three months of active use you will be reducing this waste by 5-10% a year.
- You will not be contributing to the 350,000 tonnes of the UK’s clothing which ends up on landfill each year.
- You will free up space in your house by donating all those children’s clothes that you have been hoarding.
- You will get a warm glow knowing that you have helped out another mother and lightened their load just a little.
For further information, about From a Mother to Another please visit the home page on the JoJo Maman Bébé website.
Please consider donating to this fabulous campaign. It will make such a difference to those vulnerable mother’s and children who need your help. Also, please share this post far and wide. We want as many mothers as possible to donate to this valuable cause. And if you are active on social media then please show your support to From a Mother to Another by sharing information about the campaign and using the hashtag #MotherToAnother.