When I gave birth to Little Miss H, I didn’t know that she was my Rainbow Baby. I didn’t know what the term meant.
A Rainbow Baby, is a baby that is born after miscarriage, still birth, neonatal loss or other baby loss. It refers to the bright and beautiful rainbows that appear in the sky after a storm.
The rainbow doesn’t pretend that the storm never existed. Instead the rainbow shines all the brighter because it has followed a moment of darkness and turmoil. It is a symbol of hope.
Since having three further miscarriages, the term Rainbow Baby has a huge importance in my life.
I have become rainbow obsessed and I can’t wait to dress Little Mister H in beautiful brightly coloured clothes that are covered in these little arches of hope. I also want to give his little nursery a rainbow theme and fill it with reds, blues, greens, oranges and yellows.
I have compiled a little rainbow inspired wish list for our baby boy. I hope that you like it.
Rainbow wish list for a baby boy
1. Dino Print Baby Sleepsuit, £15.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé – This sleepsuit is the only item that I have actually bought for Little Mister H. It is perfect. It is bright and bold. It features dinosaurs and even features their names (reminding me of one of Little Miss H’s favourite books, Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs). I think this would make the perfect going home outfit for our little man. He will look gorgeous.
2. Embroidered Rainbow Baby Hat, £5.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé
3. Embroidered Rainbow Baby Sleepsuit, £16.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé – I adore this sleepsuit and matching hat (above). It is so cute. It will be the perfect outfit for a newborn boy or girl.
4. Hayle Hoody in Diver Blue/ Rainbow, £30.00 by Frugi – How cute is this hoody? A zip up hoody is always so practical with a newborn. You can just slip it on before going out and know that they will be nice and snug. And that blue is stunning. Why should baby boys only wear pale blue?
5. Vintage Toys Baby Boys Raglan T-shirt, £10.00 by Cath Kidston
6. Vintage Toys Baby Boys Joggers, £10.00 by Cath Kidston – This little outfit of t-shirt (above) and joggers is adorable and it looks very comfy too.
7. Rainbow Stripe Shortie One-piece, £12.95 by GAP – I am such a fan of one-pieces on newborn babies. And I love the simplicity of this design, which will be perfect for summer.
8. Little Knitted Leggings in Rainbow Stripe/ Puffin, £14.00 by Frugi – Leggings and tights shouldn’t just be for girls. They are great for baby boys. And I am especially fond of leggings with patterns on the bottom. I fell in love with these Little Knitted Leggings from Frugi as soon as I saw them.
9. Vintage Toys Hooded Romper, £16,00 by Cath Kidston – I heart this romper.
10. Bright Elephant Baby Sleepsuit, £15.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé – When I went into my local JoJo Maman Bébé the other week, I almost bought this sleepsuit too. I might have to go back and buy it.
11. Lovely babygrow in Sunny Days, £18.00 by Frugi – I really don’t think you can have too many babygrows when you have a newborn. One thing I have learnt, is that newborns just want to be comfy and cosy. So t-shirts, leggings, sleepsuits and rompers are the best clothes to dress them in.
12. Check Shirt Style Baby Bodysuit, £15.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé – This shirt bodysuit is smart and practical. Adorable for summer with a little pair of navy shorts.
13. Spare Pair Changing Set in Multi stripe, £49.95 by GAP – This is a genius idea. Everything you need when baby has to have a complete change of clothes, all in one handy bag. It also includes a changing mat.
14. Jellycat Maypole Elephant Chime Toy, £16.00, available in John Lewis – Jellycat toys are the best. I think this elephant will be finding its way into Little Mister H’s nursery.
15. Rainbow Baby Blanket, £22.00 by JoJo Maman Bébé – Baby blankets are a must with a newborn baby. They have so many uses. And this beautiful and bright rainbow stripe blanket will provide a pop of vibrant colour to Little Mister H’s nursery.
16. Vehicle Applique T-shirt in Grey Marl Stripe/ balloon, now £13.95 to £15.75 from Boden – To be honest, I could have chosen any of Boden’s Vehicle Applique t-shirts. But the applique of the hot air balloon caught my eye and is my favourite.
Would you happily dress your baby boy or girl in these wonderful clothes? I think Mr H and I need to start saving, so that I can buy all these items on my rainbow wish list.