Last weekend, I began to feel that Little Mister H might make an early appearance. And I panicked! I hadn’t written a birth plan and my hospital bags weren’t packed.
Spurred on by the thought of Little Mister H arriving into chaos I packed my bags and wrote my plan.
And I feel much happier knowing that I’m ready for Little Mister H’s arrival (well, as ready as I will ever be).
What have I packed in my hospital bags?
Knowing what to pack in a hospital bag is difficult. And I get confused by the online hospital bag check lists.
So I decided to create my own check list. And in this post I want to share the essentials that I have packed in my hospital bags.
If you want the full rundown of what I have packed and why then you’ll need to watch my vlog – “My hospital bags – what have I packed?”:
Little Mister H’s hospital bag
Little Mister H’s hospital bag is the toTs by SmarTrike Voyage Changing Bag in Dark Grey Mélange* and is fabulous.
I have never seen a changing bag that is this spacious (it is filled with extra pockets and bags) and stylish.
The outside material is waterproof and can be wiped down. The dark grey fabric is practical and Mr H is very pleased that it is a more masculine changing bag than our current floral bag.
I love the size of this bag and I was surprised at how much it holds.
It is going to be perfect when I have to cart round the belongings of a three-year old and a newborn. Plus, I can use it as a backpack which means it is ideal for baby wearing.
Little Mister H’s hospital bag essentials are:
- 2 large blankets, 3 muslins and 1 Gro-swaddle
- Crystal Blue Bunny Bamboo Swaddle Blanket from Bambini & Me* – gorgeous design and so soft!
- Matching Crystal Blue Bunny Bamboo Romper from Bambini & Me*
- A changing mat, newborn nappies, a packet of WaterWipes* (perfect for delicate newborn skin) and cotton wool
- Baby hat, socks, 4 short-sleeved bodysuits (all from Mothercare) and 3 sleepsuits (from Boots Mini Club)
- Outfit for going home – Dino Print Baby Sleepsuit from JoJo Maman Bébé, a cardigan and booties
- Starry Elly Soother by Jellycat
- I forgot to mention in the vlog that we will also be taking an ice bag filled with freezer bags of harvested colostrum. I have recently produced a video about taking anti-depressants during pregnancy which explains why I am harvesting colostrum for Little Mister H.
My hospital bag
My hospital bag is the beautiful Blossom Birds Large Slip Pocket Shoulder Bag by Cath Kidston that I treated myself to in the sale.
My hospital bag essentials are:
- Maternity notes
- Tablets and pain killers
- An old maternity nightdress for labour
- Slippers, maternity robe and nightdress (from F&F at Tesco)
- Bravado Body Silk Seamless Yoga Nursing Bra in Charcoal* – a beautifully soft and supportive nursing bra.
- An outfit to wear home
- Knickers and maternity pads
- Nipple shields and Lansinoh HPA Lanolin
- Bamboo Breast and Nursing Pads from Bambini & Me* – These reusable bamboo breast pads are perfect as the skin on breasts is very sensitive and can often become irritated.
- A pillow, towel and flannel
- Mobile phone and charger
- A wash bag containing:
- Basic toiletries – deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush etc.
- A packet of WaterWipes* – These wipes are perfect for my hugely sensitive skin.
- Odylique Calming Rose Super Tonic* – Mr H has orders to spritz me with this calming and cooling spray during labour.
- Odylique Calendula Balm* – I plan to use this balm as a luxurious face cream after giving birth.
- Hope’s Relief Goat’s Milk, Shea and Cocoa Butter Body Wash* – This body wash is ideal for soothing tired and sore skin during my first shower after baby is born.
- What Skin Needs Skin Balm* – I’ll use this balm to soothe any skin that gets sore, dry and irritated in hospital.
I hope that this post and video are helpful. Please let me know if you think that I have forgotten anything?
Disclaimer: I was sent a number of products for the purpose of this post. These are clearly marked with an *. As always all words, photographs and opinions are my own and I will only write about products that I love and I am happy to recommend.