As a busy mum, I sometimes struggle to look after my hair properly. When I’ve had a sleepless night I don’t want to spend valuable tea drinking time on hair care. But when my hair looks good, I feel better about myself and I often forget that I’m tired and sleep deprived. So over the years I have learnt some hair care tips that can get this busy mum out the door with lovely looking tresses.
Hair Care Tips for Busy Mums
Hair Care Products
Using the right hair care products is the key to having healthy and beautiful hair.
You should treat your hair care as you would your skin care. For example, you would never buy a moisturiser for very dry skin if your skin is oily and prone to break outs.
The same rules apply to hair care. It is important to become familiar with your hair. Is it dry, oily, curly, straight, frizzy, flyaway, lank or a combination of these? Once you have worked out what your hair is like then you need to make sure that you use the right products for that hair type.
My hair is very fine. It breaks easily and the ends are dry. I use products that are designed to lock in moisture.
But it also has a tendency to become greasy if I use products that are too heavy. To combat this, I use shampoos and conditioner that work with the natural oils of my hair. And that are light enough not to weigh my hair down.
Over the years I have discovered some fabulous hair care products. Sadly, I don’t own all of these at the moment. But these are definitely on my Amazon wish list and are my products of choice when my hair is in need of some pampering.
Shampoo and Conditioner
1. My favourite shampoo is L’Oreal Paris Hair Expertise EverPure Colour Care and Volume Shampoo. This shampoo is fabulous. It leaves my hair feeling beautifully soft and moisturised. Some shampoos can leave my locks looking lank, flat or greasy but I have never had that problem with this shampoo.
2. If I use one shampoo for too long then my hair can get used to it. So I like to alternate between two. My other choice of shampoo is the new L’Oréal Elvive Haircare Fibrology Air Shampoo. This latest innovation in hair care is especially designed for fine hair. It is light and cleansing. And is perfect for when I want my hair to be clean and fresh but with added volume.
3. Conditioner is as important as shampoo. But if I use too much my hair can become lank and greasy. It can look like I haven’t bothered to wash it at all. That is why L’Oréal Elvive Haircare Fibrology Air Conditioner is perfect for my hair type.
Additional Hair Care Products
It isn’t enough to have only shampoo and conditioner in your hair arsenal. Your hair deserves to be pampered.
If you want to avoid those days when a hat is your only remedy then my main recommendation is to give your hair some extra love and TLC. When I can I use a blow dry spray, a hair oil and a hair mask to really show my locks I care.
1. Once a fortnight I will use L’Oréal Elvive Haircare Fibrology Air Masque. This hair mask is the final weapon in my battle against bad hair. It gives my hair a chance to recover from all the stress it is put under from constant styling. It moisturises, thickens, protects and strengthens. Perfect!
2. Before styling hair, it is important to use a Heat Protection Spray. I hate the idea of drying or styling without protecting my locks first. So I liberally apply Lee Stafford Original Heat Protection Shine Mist Spray 200 ml.
3. If my hair is still looking a little frizzy and flyaway then I use Kerastase Elixir Ultime The Imperial Radiance Beautifying Oil. Just one pump of this beautifying dry oil smooths my hair and leaves it shiny and soft.
Hair Styling tips for busy mums
Once your hair is in perfect condition you’ll want to find some quick and easy hairstyles that work for you. I have a handful of go-to styles that are simple to do and that make the most of my hair.
When time is short then I like to put my hair up. I found most of my every day hairstyles through watching YouTube tutorials.
These are my four favourite hairstyles for helping my hair look fab in a matter of minutes:
1. Dutch Side Braid
This Dutch Side Braid is based on the hairstyle that Jennifer Lawrence wears as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games. It takes quite a bit of practise at first. But once you’ve mastered it then this hairstyle is quick, easy and looks lovely.
2. Twisted Side Ponytail
This twisted side ponytail is my favourite hairstyle (it is actually how my hair is styled today). It is a cute and feminine variation of the side ponytail. And it is perfect for anyone (who like me) has flat hair and needs some volume around the crown. The style can be adapted by either twisting the hair on only one side or on both sides, as I have done in the pictures above.
3. Double Bun
If I need to get out of the door in a hurry then a double bun is my favourite updo. And it is so easy. It is also brilliant if my hair is greasy or I haven’t had time to dry it.
a) Section hair into a half ponytail.
b) Twist ponytail into a bun and secure it with Kirby grips.
c) Place the remaining hair into a ponytail and twist into a bun.
d) Secure the second bun with Kirby grips.
This style can be loose and messy or as neat as you want it to be.
I am hopeless at blow drying my hair. I find it so dull.
Best. Purchase. Ever!
It is simple to use and it gives me a sleek, smooth and effortless blow dry in 10 minutes.
8 Fabulous Hair Care Tips for Busy Mums
1. Drink plenty of water. Try to drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
2. Swap your early morning cuppa for a cup of hot water and fresh lemon.
3. Take omega 3 fish oil supplements.
4. Do NOT wash your hair in hot water. The water should be warm and if you can brave it you should finish your hair wash with a blast of cold water.
5. Rinse thoroughly. I guarantee that most women do not spend enough time rinsing the shampoo and conditioner out of their hair. If your hair is often lank and greasy then this could be the problem.
6. Always use a heat protection spray before blow drying or styling your hair.
7. Protect your hair from the elements. Try to wear a hat in the summer and use a product which includes a UV filter.
8. Have a regular hair cut. Even a little trim to get rid of split ends will leave your hair healthier.
Now you have gorgeous hair, you deserve to be seen on the arm of a man who also has luscious locks. But if your partner is follically challenged then you may want to encourage him to follow Wayne Rooney’s lead and go for an Advanced Tricho Pigmentation Treatment.
If you’re a busy mum then I would love to hear your hair care tips.
This is a collaborative post.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.co.uk.