On Friday 29th September 2017, I will turn 39. I’m one year off the big 4-0. And as much as I’ve loved my thirties, I’m actually looking forward to this new era of my life. An era which I get to spend with my fabulous husband and my two gorgeous rainbow babies. It’s exciting.
I also find that as I age I learn more and more about myself and how to live in this world.
It’s probably one of my favourite posts. And it’s one I revisit every now and then when I need to remind myself of my own advice.
A few days before turning 39, I thought that I’d revisit it once again. And after two more years of life, I decided that this post needed updating. So I’ve given it a little spruce and added some new pearls of wisdom.
Please indulge me (I’m almost the birthday girl after all) while I share with you my updated 39 life lessons for 39 years.
39 Life Lessons for 39 Years
1. Always read the book before the film.
2. There is huge power in a smile.
3. Never date a man just because he looks like Wolverine. It will end badly!
4. Never put on eye liner when drunk. It will end badly!
5. True friends are those that love and support you through good times and bad. And who are quite happy to let you cry snotty tears on their shoulders.
6. Sometimes you just need to allow yourself to be.
7. Celebrating a birthday is a privilege. Not everyone gets to blow the candles out on their next birthday cake.
8. Always accept the dessert menu as there is always room for dessert.
9. The greatest sound in the world is the laughter of your children.
10. Always be the first person to say I’m sorry.
11. Sleep is the greatest healer.
12. There are never enough hours in the day.
13. The world can be cruel but it can also be truly beautiful. You need to learn to see the beauty.
14. You can’t control what happens in your life but you can control your reaction to it.
15. You may lust over bad boys, but you’ll want your partner and the father of your children to be a kind and good man.
16. Wear sunscreen everyday, even if it is cloudy. (Your skin will thank me).
17. Follow your heart and trust your instincts.
18. There is always something to live for. I wouldn’t have believed this over 15 years ago. And I would have missed out on so much.
19. There is no stopping women when they have one another’s backs and offer one another unconditional support. They are a force to be reckoned with and can change the world.
20. Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.
21. Other people will always have opinions on how you should live your life. But it doesn’t mean you have to agree with them.
22. Wear clothes that make you feel happy and embrace colour.
23. If spending time with someone doesn’t bring you joy then you don’t need to spend time with them.
24. Be kind to yourself.
25. Diamonds are made under great pressure. The hard times in life will make you strong and will make you shine.
26. Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do TODAY. And don’t put off until later what you can do NOW.
27. Always avoid talking about religion and politics with the people you love.
28. Nobody has a perfect life.
29. Take every task in life one step at a time.
30. Everyone deserves to be loved. And everyone deserves to be given a second chance.
31. Choose your words carefully because careless words can hurt.
32. Dancing to Taylor Swift’s Shake it Off with your children can be the most fun you will ever have.
33. You’re never too old to learn a lesson.
34. Honesty is always the best policy.
35. People can change but never try to change people.
36. Do one thing everyday that brings you happiness.
37. Remember there is only one you and you are extraordinary.
38. Life is not black and white. There are many shades of grey.
39. The most beautiful rainbows appear after the darkest storms.
So there you have it. 39 lessons for the 39 years of my life. I wonder what lessons will come my way before I reach 40.
Do you have any words of wisdom that you live by? Is there anything that I need to add to this list. I would love to hear in the comments.