We’re very proud that Little Mister H is now officially walking! He started the week after he turned 13 months.
Like his sister before him, he kept us waiting a while. There were several weeks where there was a lot of very tentative standing and wobbling… with the occasional lunge forward. But when our children get it, it seems like they really get it.
Little Mister H is now storming around the house with ease, and causing all kinds of chaos as a consequence. He is a tiny tornado on legs! And there is no doubt about it, our baby boy is now a toddler.
During the few weeks leading up to Little Mister H’s walking breakthrough we encouraged him to use a walker. And helping us to bridge the gap between crawling and walking this time around was the Infantino 3-in-1 Sensory Discovery Car Walker, which we were given for the purpose of this review.
First steps with the Infantino 3-in-1 Walker
More than just a walker
The Infantino 3-in-1 is actually more than just a walker. There are many different ways for babies to interact with it. The handle of the walker can be placed in three positions. Which allows both babies (from 6 months old) and older children (up to 36 months old) to enjoy the various activities this sensory walker has to offer.
• The lower position – The wheels on the walker can be locked which means that when the handle bar is in this position then it can be used as an activity centre (see below for more on this). This is perfect for babies who are six months or older and who are sitting independently.
• The middle position – From nine months, again with the wheels locked, babies can use the walker to start pulling themselves up into a standing position.
• The higher position – From twelve months the wheels on the walker can be unlocked and babies can use the walker to start taking their first steps.
It has been lovely to watch Little Mister H use the Infantino 3-in-1 to gain confidence on his feet. It’s very sturdy and provides quite a lot of support to the baby, unlike some other walkers I’ve seen or used. Also, our house includes both carpeted and wooden floors and the Infantino Walker works equally well on both surfaces.
All kinds of fun
The Infantino 3-in-1 Sensory Discovery Car Walker is also filled with all sorts of fun features that Little Mister H loves to play with.
1. It lights up when pushed.
2. It plays four different melodies and a range of funny sounds. Little Mister H now knows exactly which button to press to play the noise he likes.
3. The Infantino Walker includes a mini ball run and a mini shape sorter. The only problem is that Little Mister H has worked out how to remove the door from the ball run. Little Mister H thinks this is very funny, especially as Mummy doesn’t find it quite so amusing.
4. This walker is in the shape of a car with a cute and engaging smiley face with moving eyes. Little Mister H particularly loves to press the discovery car’s nose to see the flashing lights and hear the funny noises.
5. It’s bright and colourful and has lots of different textures to touch and play with.
Walk this way
We did lots of activities to encourage Little Mister H to start walking. We held his hands while he was standing to try to encourage him to take a few steps. And we bought him his first pair of shoes so that we could walk with him outdoors. His big sister also gave him several excellent tutorials on how to put one foot in front of the other! (I wish we had these on video as they were very funny).
But I believe that the Infantino 3-in-1 Walker helped to give Little Mister H the confidence he needed to take those first tentative steps. He enjoyed zooming down our hallway with this walker. And it was great to see him learning and developing while having lots of fun.
What kinds of things have you done to encourage your little ones to walk? I’d love to hear about them.
We were sent the Infantino 3-in-1 Sensory Discovery Walker Car for the purpose of this review. But as always, all words, opinions and images are 100% my own and completely honest.