Today is my birthday. I’m now 37 years old.
I’m not entirely sure how it happened but I appear to have entered my late thirties. Three years off the big 4-0.
And it feels good.
I spent much of my twenties deeply unhappy. My thirties have been a turning point for me. I’m now happier in my own skin. And although I still have days when I struggle, I know what I need to do to make myself feel better and to put a smile on my face.
In the past year or so, my attitude to birthdays has shifted. I now welcome them. Not everyone gets the privilege of seeing their 37th birthday. And I realise that getting older is something to embrace and to celebrate.
It’s also a time to look back at how far I have come in my life. There is no doubt, that I am very different from the person I was on my 27th birthday. And I don’t think I would even recognise the 17 year-old Lucy.
My life experiences have helped me gain some knowledge about how the world works. And I’ve learnt how I need to live my life so that I can be as happy and content as possible.
As this is my birthday, I thought that I’d share this limited and very subjective wisdom with you, my dear readers.
37 Lessons for 37 Years
1. ALWAYS read the book before the film.
2. There is huge power in a smile.
3. NEVER date a man just because he looks like Wolverine. It will end badly.
4. Follow your heart and trust your instincts.
5. True friends are those that love and support you through good times and bad.
6. Sometimes you just need to allow yourself to be.
7. Every birthday is a blessing. Celebrate it!
8. There is ALWAYS room for dessert.
9. The greatest sound in the world is the laughter of your child.
10. Remember to breathe.
11. Sleep is the best healer.
12. There are NEVER enough hours in the day.
13. The world can be cruel but it can also be truly beautiful. Learn to appreciate the beauty.
14. You can’t control what happens in your life but you can control your reaction to it.
15. You may lust over bad boys. But you’ll want your partner and the father of your children to be a kind and good man.
16. Wear sunscreen.
17. NEVER put eye liner on when drunk. It will end badly.
18. There is ALWAYS something to live for.
19. Women are a force to be reckoned with when they have one another’s backs and offer one another unconditional support.
20. ALWAYS treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.
21. Other people will always have opinions on how you should be living your life. It doesn’t mean you have to agree with them.
22. Wear clothes that make you feel happy.
23. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
24. Be kind to yourself.
25. Diamonds are made under great pressure. The hard times in life will make you strong and will make you shine.
26. Wearing a floaty skirt on a windy day is NEVER a good idea.
27. NEVER talk about religion or politics with people you love.
28. No one has a perfect life.
29. Your child gives the best cuddles in the world.
30. Everyone deserves to be loved.
31. Choose your words carefully.
32. Dancing to Taylor Swift’s Shake it Off with your daughter can be the most fun you will ever have.
33. Marry your best friend.
34. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.
35. People change but don’t try to change people.
36. Do one thing everyday that makes you happy.
37. Remember there is only one you and you are extraordinary.
Are there any lessons that you think need to be added to this list?