I feel guilty all the time. Mum guilt. Wife guilt. Friend guilt. The list goes on and on.
And bloody hell, it is exhausting feeling this way. Beating myself up emotionally for every little mistake I make or every time I don’t live up to the image of perfection that I aspire to.
But I’m human. I make mistakes and I’m not perfect. So this leads to a great deal of guilt.
Over the years I have learnt that writing down my feelings can highlight how ridiculous they are. That they’re just silly thoughts and not facts. And they don’t have any power.
So here is a list of 50 reasons why I feel guilty.
50 reasons why I feel guilty
I feel guilty because I…
1. have a little nap while Little Miss H watches cBeebies
2. let Little Miss H watch cBeebies
3. don’t take Little Miss H to any extra curricular classes
4. go to bed too late
5. don’t drive and so the children miss out on seeing their friends and going to exciting places
6. go to bed too early
7. give Little Miss H fish fingers, chips and peas for dinner far too much
8. get shampoo in Little Miss H’s eyes when I wash her hair
9. throw out any toys that come out of Kinder eggs
10. am sometimes late dropping Little Miss H at preschool
11. am really lazy
12. don’t clean the house as much as I should
13. rely on Mr H far too much
14. don’t give Mr H enough lie ins
15. haven’t been on a date night with Mr H in over a year
16. don’t cook enough evening meals
19. don’t want to go to my 20 year school reunion
20. once laughed when someone told me they loved me
21. post photos of Mr H on social media even though I know he hates it
22. snap at Little Miss H and upset her
23. get upset when Little Miss H wants her Daddy and not me
24. don’t speak to my brothers as much as I should
25. never tried cloth nappies on our children
26. don’t see my family as much as I should
27. haven’t taken Little Mister H to any baby classes on his own
28. won’t let Little Miss H wear summer dresses every day of the year
29. eat far too much cake, chocolate and biscuits
30. don’t exercise enough
31. am a bad example for my children
32. have low self-confidence which I don’t want my children to see
33. don’t tell my parents I love them enough
34. want to pee without an audience
35. would love to have a day at a spa away from my children
36. lose my patience and get exasperated by my children
37. wish Little Miss H was less cheeky
38. take 50 years to do any job
39. am no longer organised
40. don’t reply to friend’s texts and messages as quickly as I should
41. force myself on friends who are probably sick of me
42. get a little jealous when my friends see each other and I miss out
43. am dreading my children being teenagers
44. don’t do enough for charity
45. want my children to wake up in the night so that I can give them extra cuddles
46. am a rubbish blogger
47. want my blog to be much more successful when I should love it as it is
48. fail to finish any blogging course I take part in
49. don’t appreciate every moment that I spend with my children
50. don’t tell my husband and children that I love them at every opportunity
There you have it! A list of 50 random reasons why I feel guilty.
And as I had hoped they do look ridiculous written down. Carrying around this amount of guilt is too much. No more!
If any of these reasons seem familiar to you then I want you to know that you’re not alone. Guilt as a parent, goes with the territory. But it is silly and we need to put the guilt aside.
Do you ever feel guilty? Please let me know that I am not the only person.